CPH-NEW: Center for the Promotion of Health in the New England Workplace
The Center for the Promotion of Health in the New England Workplace (CPH-NEW) is a Center of Excellence funded by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) since 2006. It is a collaborative research-to-practice initiative led by investigators from the University of Massachusetts Lowell and the University of Connecticut.
Key Academic Units
- Occupational & Environmental Health Center, UConn Health, Farmington, CT
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology and the Department of Allied Health Sciences, UConn, Storrs, CT
- Department of Work Environment, UMass Lowell
CPH-NEW researchers are from a variety of academic disciplines and have extensive expertise in workplace health and safety as well as health promotion and education. They enjoy strong connections with private and public organizations and a robust educational and outreach infrastructure. The center has established partnerships with private-sector firms, labor organizations and state agencies.
The center’s research goal is to evaluate the feasibility, effectiveness and economic benefits of integrating occupational health and safety with health promotion interventions to improve employee health. The Center places a strong emphasis on occupational ergonomic interventions and worker involvement. Areas of particular interest include musculoskeletal health, mental health, and cardiovascular health. The Center benefits from both cross-university and cross-disciplinary programs involvement in basic and behavioral sciences, outreach and education.
Please join us for the 2014 Community Engagement & Research Symposium: "Building on Partnership Strengths to Improve Health in Communities". Click here to register
Key Relevant Areas of Activity
Workplace Ergonomics and Organizational Research
- Department of Work Environment (UMass Lowell)
- Job Content Questionnaire Center (UMass Lowell)
- Ergonomics Technology Center (UConn)
Health Promotion and Wellness
- ConnectiFIT Program (UConn)
- Department of Nursing (UConn)
- Center for Environmental Health and Health Promotion (UConn)
Occupational Health Psychology
- Division of Industrial/Organizational Psychology (UConn)
- Community and Social Psychology Program (UMass Lowell)
Community Health Outreach and Education
- Center for Health/HIV Intervention and Prevention (UConn)
- Department of Community Health and Sustainability (UMass Lowell)